Friday, November 13, 2009

Paths of Glory





"I should not have needed to travel halfway round the world to discover that without you I am nothing, as many less fortunate men with envy in their eyes have oft reminded me, and they do not know the half. Ask any one of them what he would sacrifice for that first moment of passion to last a lifetime, and he would tell you half his days, because no such woman exists. They are wrong. I have found that woman, and nothing will ever take her place, certainly not this ice-cold maiden that slumbers above me.

Some men boast of their conquest. The truth is, I've had but one, as I loved you from the moment I first saw you. You are my waking morning, you are my setting sun." 
-passage from the book..the last letter the husband wrote to his wife.. 

This book by Jeffrey Archer is based on a true story..

It is debatable till this day that it is not Sir Edmund Hillary in 1953 was the first Englishmen to conquered Everest. It is said, based on this book that maybe George Leigh Mallory was the first together with Sandy Irvine. Like I said it is debatable.

Well the book tells us the story and life of Mr. George Leigh Mallory from his early life, school life, college & university years, the work life, mountaineering experienced, marriage, the Great War (back then during 1900's it is called that..now we know it as World War I), the first Everest expedition and the final days Mr. Mallory.

It is a wonderful book telling us how Mr. Mallory shows is exquisite behavior as an English Gentlemen with his politeness and the ways he woos his wife Ruth. Thrilling and exciting his life must be. I do envy him in certain ways told by the author. I too dream of having a loving wife and perfect family.

Even though in the end, a dreadful ending is to be expected. Meaning that this story doesn't have a happy ending. It is recommended to you guys/gals to read this.